Ransomware, making your business a target
9th November 2016
Ransomware is a very real threat; every day a business is singled out by the perpetrators of this all too common cyber extortion, costing organisations money, time and the loss of important data.
It's happening right now and it's happening within businesses close to you; along-with our partner Datto, we want to work together to ensure it doesn't happen to you.
Ransomware doesn't discriminate – it isn't just the large multi-nationals that are on the minds of cyber criminals, targets are small to medium sized businesses with gaps in their IT security and data that is just ready for the taking.
What you're up against are the many variations of malware that can infect your computer systems, ransomware encrypts files and data, leaving them inaccessible to the owner or permanently deleting them – they could even be posted on the internet.
Essentially ransomware locks your files and holds your business hostage until you pay the 'ransom' – and even then there is no guarantee you will recover your data.
96% of ransomware victims lose access to their data for more than a day, obviously resulting in a serious impact on productivity and profitability.
We partner with Datto, as they are actively doing something to stop ransomware targeting you:
Datto recommend 3 layers of protection:
- Education: make your company aware of the dangers of social engineering scams and phishing emails – if in doubt, don't click on the link
- Antivirus: can prevent a full-blown infection, however new strains of ransomware are always being created – often at a higher rate than antivirus can protect against
- Total Data Protection: the ultimate failsafe in a layered defence strategy against ransomware.
Breakwater can secure your systems using the advanced technology from Datto:
- Datto SIRUS: protects physical, virtual and cloud infrastructures
- Backupify: the leading cloud-to-cloud backup and recovery solution for applications including Office 365 and Google Apps
- Datto Drive: enables you to easily roll to a backup created before the attack.
Take a look at our Datto solutions to find out all the info on how they will keep your business protected, or get in touch and we can talk you through how we'll keep your business and its data safe.
Call our team today on